Sunday, January 25, 2015

Breakfast Burrito

These burritos are amazingly simple and delicious.  I always make 12 at a time (typically how many tortillas come in a pack) and in twenty minutes I have 12 pre-made breakfasts for TJ and I to pop in the microwave before work.  They are quick, easy, and taste delicious; just my style!

12 flour tortillas (I like the medium size...not too small, not too big)
1 pepper, chopped (I like red, for color...but any color will do)
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, minced (if spicy is your thing...if not then leave it out)
10 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1 tbsp. seasoning salt (sometimes I use taco seasoning instead)
Choice of meat (all precooked): 12 strips bacon, 12 sausage patties, or 3 cups cubed ham
3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup chopped cilantro

In a large skillet heat 1 tbsp. olive oil over medium high heat.  Sauté the onions, peppers, and jalapeno until tender and translucent.  While the veggies are cooking, scramble the eggs, milk, and seasonings until well incorporated. 

When the veggies are done, pour the eggs over the top and cook until the eggs are fully scrambled and no longer runny.  Remove from heat.

To assemble the burritos, warm the tortillas in the microwave and lay on the counter in a single layer.  Place the meat on the tortilla followed by the egg mixture, the cheese, and then the cilantro.  If I eat them right away I also put salsa on the inside for that extra little umph!  If I am planning on saving for a later date then I omit the salsa and add it later.  Wrap the burritos up by folding in the sides and then rolling like a burrito with the top coming up and around.  Wrap the burrito up in some saran wrap or foil and enjoy!!! 

I have frozen these before but I make sure to pull them out the night before so they are defrosted when I reheat them.  You can also make these a healthy option by using ham, egg whites, and whole wheat tortillas :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment