Thursday, April 20, 2017

Microwave Carmel Corn

This is a recipe that I made with my mom growing up.  The recipe is super easy, super delicious, and one that you can make with kids.  In fact, I have memories of shaking the brown paper bag with my mom when I was little and now I get to do the same thing with my kids; total dejavu!  I love it!!  The recipe you do have to be careful about what kind of paper bag you use though...Some are made using recycled material and contains metal which doesn't belong in a microwave...just use caution ;)

1/2 cup of popped popcorn kernels (about 3 quarts popped popcorn)
2 cups cashews, optional
3/4 cup brown sugar
6 tbsp butter
3 tbsp corn syrup
1 tsp sea salt
3/4 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp baking soda
large brown paper grocery bag



Pour the popcorn and nuts into the paper sack.  Be sure to pick out all the un-popped kernels as you see them!!  Place the brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, and vanilla in a large microwave safe bowl.  Microwave on high for 2 minutes, stir, and then microwave another 2 minutes...until the mixture boils.  Immediately stir in the baking soda and pour over the popcorn, in the bag.

Fold the top of the bag over a few times and shake well.  Place the bag in the microwave and cook for 1 minute.  Shake the bag vigorously again and microwave for 45-60 seconds.  Check at 45 seconds  to make sure it's not burning.

Open the bag and pour the caramel corn our on waxed paper.  Break up clumps if needed and check for any un-popped kernels.  Cool completely to harden.  Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment