Friday, July 11, 2014

Firehouse Potato Salad

Now I'm not the first to admit that I don't like potato salad...gasp!!  That's un-American right?!?  There's just something about it's creamy, and yet crunchy texture that makes me all weird inside.  I do have to say that I have had a TON...I mean a TON of homemade potato salads and have yet to find one that I actually eat and say "hmmm...this is pretty good."  I also have to say that the yellow potato salad they sell in the store, I think it's Resers Brand, is the best potato salad I have ever had.  That's not to say that I love that brand's potato salad, but it is definitely the only potato salad I would put on my plate if we were at any given potluck. 

Potato salad for me is always in abundance at nearly every. single. potluck!!  With that said...it is also always the last thing left at every. single. potluck.  However, just as un-American it is to despise the stuff, it is equally un-American to not serve it at your 4th of July BBQ.  So...in an attempt to appease every palate at our 4th of July BBQ, I decided to spice things up a bit; literally!!  This Firehouse Potato Salad is guaranteed to get a few "hey, can I get that recipe?" Or my favorite "who brought the potato salad?"  (said no one ever...until now!!!). 

2 lbs red or russet potatoes, cooked and cooled completely
1/4 c chopped celery
1/3 c finely chopped green onion
1/2 cup cooked and crumbled bacon (reserve a little for garnish, optional)
3/4 c mayonnaise
1/4 c sour cream
3 tbsp. Franks red hot wing sauce (more to taste)
1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing powder
Large pinch of cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste

Cut the potatoes into bite-sized pieces in a large bowl.  Add the celery, onion, and bacon.  Wisk together the mayo, sour cream, wing sauce, ranch mix, and cayenne pepper.  Spoon it over the potato mix and gently fold until everything is well combined.  Since the ranch mix is pretty salty, let the flavors marry together and then taste to see if it needs more salt and peppery goodness.  Garnish with bacon and dried chives if you please.

Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment