Friday, July 11, 2014

Gyoza

If you live near a Costco and have ever tried the Ling Ling brand potsticker, you will know that they are just about as good as it gets when speaking in terms of gyoza...or potsticker.  Now I feel like I'm somewhat an authority in gyoza at this point because not only do I live in Japan, I have eaten my fair share of potstickers both homemade and at restaurants.  They are delicious little dumplings of goodness, and I finally can make them myself!!  I no longer have to be a slave to Costco little Ling Ling's goodness.  With no Costco in the area, the situation was getting desperate. 

The nice thing about this recipe is that you can make a ton and eat what you want while freezing the rest.  Cooking them at a later date in no way changes their flavor.  They are magical in every sense of the word.  I found a sauce that I LOVE, but I can only find it in Japan...so I'll give you the recipe, but that's as far as I can take you.  The rest is up to you :)


1 lb ground pork
1 cup shredded green cabbage, sliced thin and soaked in a mild salt water
3 oz shitake mushrooms, diced
2 cloves garlic, pressed
4 green onions, thinly sliced
1 tbsp. hoisin sauce
1 tbsp. freshly grated ginger
2 tsp sesame oil
1 tsp Siracha, or more to taste
1/4 tsp pepper
36 2 in wonton wrappers (or gyoza wrappers if you have them available)
vegetable oil for cooking

In a large bowl combine pork, cabbage, mushrooms, garlic, green onions, hoisin, ginger, sesame oil, siracha, and pepper.

To assemble the gyozas, place wrappers on a work surface.  Spool 1 tbsp. of the pork mixture into the center of each wrapper.  using your finger, rub the edges of the wrapper with water.  Fold the dough over the filling to create a half-moon shape, pinching the edges to seal.

Heat vegetable oil in a skillet over medium heat.  Add gyoza in a single layer and cook until light golden brown.  Pour 1/3 cup water into the bottom of the pan and cover.  Keep covered until all the water is evaporated (about 3-5 minutes) Uncover and cook until the gyozas are a nice dark golden brown.  Remove from heat and serve immediately with gyoza sauce (or soy sauce if desired).

No comments:

Post a Comment